March 2023 – SOLD OUT
We want children to know the importance of home grown produce! Our hands-on experiences will demonstrate how to grow and enjoy potatoes and lettuce as part of a healthy, balanced diet.
This spud-tacular event gives children the chance to plant their own seed potatoes and lettuce, take them back to their schools, and learn how to look after them. They come back to the Showground later in the year to harvest their crop, have it weighed, and make delicious potato dishes.
“A wonderful opportunity for children to grow their own food. The activities were really hands on and the children and staff thoroughly enjoyed it” – William Law CoE Primary
Watch our 2019 event here:
Planting of the Seed Potatoes and Lettuce
- “Tatty Planting Time” – Historic re-enactment with Farmer Clive
- Learn about planting cycles and farm machinery used
- Understand inputs and outputs of a metre square field of potatoes
- Hands-on planting for children of potatoes and lettuce with Albert Bartlett, Burgess Farms and G’s Fresh
- Learn about the different types of potatoes
Harvesting of the Crops
- Historic re-enactment – picking, sorting and riddling with Farmer Luke and Farmer Clive
- Harvest and weigh your potatoes. Compete to see which school had the best crop!
- Learn how potatoes and lettuce fit into a healthy diet
- Understand consumer choice and taste a variety of potato dishes
Just £6.00 (inc VAT) per child for two-part event